Chakchouka (Eggs, tomatoes and chillies)
A Libyan breakfast recipe aka Shakshuka. Variations of this dish are also popular in Algeria and Tunisia.
- Olive oil for frying
- Garlic cloves, to taste, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- Green chillies, to taste, finely chopped
- 5 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 4 large eggs
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and gently fry the garlic and onion until soft and golden brown (about 10 minutes).
- Mix in the chillies then arrange the tomato slices on top.
- Season, then cover and simmer gently for about 15 minutes.
- Break the eggs into the pan and, using a fork, spread the whites to cover the tomatoes.
- Cover and cook for about 6 minutes, or until the eggs are done.
- Cut the mixture into quarters and scoop these out onto warmed serving plates.
Serve with pitta bread.
Add a little tomato purée to the mixture with the chillies for additional colour or try adding a teaspoon of hilba to it. You can also include sweet peppers. In North Africa merguez is sometimes added.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#eggs #chillies #onion #oliveoil #tomatoes #tomato #garlic #pittabread #sweetpeppers #fry #hilba