Cotswold vegetables with cider and garlic sauce
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 4 bulbs garlic, roasted and flesh squeezed from skin
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small head of broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 small purple cauliflower, broken into florets
- 8 leaves of cavolo nero (black leaf kale), coarsely shredded
- 560 ml dry cider
- 2 further teaspoons rapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 280 ml vegetable stock
- Using a large saucepan, gently fry the onions in the oil until soft and transparent.
- Add the vegetables and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add enough water to cover, bring to the boil, and simmer until the vegetable are cooked.
- Meanwhile, boil the cider until it has reduced by half and then add the vegetable stock.
- Just before the vegetables are ready, heat the 2 teaspoons rapeseed oil in a saucepan and stir in the flour.
- Allow to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Gently stir in the cider and the stock and add the squeezed garlic, cooking until the sauce has thickened.
- Strain the vegetables and serve with the sauce and a knob of butter.
The rapeseed oil I use is R-Oil, which is produced in Lower Swell in the Cotswolds and the dry cider was from Hayles Fruit Farm, near Winchcombe.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#cotswoldvegetableswithciderandgarlicsauce #vegetables #rapeseedoil #garlic #sauce #flour #vegetablestock #cider #boil #onions #vegetable