This recipe needs advance preparation!
To quote Nik:
"It's earthy and sweet and fragrant and spicy and fruity, we served it at our wedding feast, and it went down a storm"
- 500g beetroot, either freshly boiled, or from the supermarket (but make sure it's not in vinegar)
- 4 oranges, Freshly squeezed. Use the juice and the zest
- 1 to 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon dark brown or muscovado sugar
- Chop beetroot into skinny strips and arrange in a serving bowl
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of juice. Heat the rest with the zest, add 1 teaspoon of allspice and the sugar. Check for spiciness and add more allspice if you like it that way
- Mix the reserved juice with the cornflour. Add to juice in pan, heating gently, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened a bit
- Pour over the beetroot and chill overnight so the flavours become bosom buddies.
- Take it out of the fridge in plenty of time to be able to serve at room temperature
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#juice #beetroot #allspice #cornflour #zest #muscovadosugar #vinegar #rest #fridge #recipesfromothersites #salad